Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Staying Positive Through a Setback

Roseann:

I am very frustrated today. I went to the gym to workout, and planned on doing my best to take it easy and not injure my back. Well, my back is fine, but something else happened. I was doing the step portion of the circuit, when I stepped down with my left foot, something “ripped” in my left calf muscle. It was very painful. The personal trainer did his best to help me stretch and massage, but it didn’t help. I stopped where I was, and left for home. I did burn some calories warming up prior to the incident, but my exercise is now on hold until this heals. I will attempt to do some weight and upper body work, but cardio and lower leg work is out. I took some Ibuprofen and have been icing and heat packing it all day. If it isn’t better in a day or two, I will head to the doctor to have it evaluated. Hoping that it heals quickly, and that it is just a minor injury.

I am grateful that they have set up a phone conference so that we can all participate in the support give to us by Lisa Cavallaro, a life coach/weight loss trainer. That way, I don’t miss out on valuable information, and can continue to give and receive support.

My program will continue, I will not give up. This is just a temporary setback, and maybe a very valuable life lesson. That I need to not push myself so much, and slow down just a tad!

I know it is important to rest an injury, but also important to keep moving the muscle to decrease any surrounding inflammation/swelling, and so that the muscle doesn’t stiffen or become too tight. So, I am frequently getting up and moving, so my steps continue. Not at 10,000, that may be too much, but I was able to do about 8,000, so I will keep moving as much as my leg will allow.

Taking it one day and one step at a time.

Healthy Blessings,
Roseann

No comments:

Post a Comment