Monday, July 2, 2012

A Great Weekend and Little Changes

Roseann:

It was a great weekend!

Friday: I LOST 5 POUNDS!! I was so pleased when I stepped on my scales, to see that I had lost weight. But the difference this time, was not just that I lost, but knowing that it was a healthy weight loss. One that I had truly earned. A loss that was the beginning of a much healthier road for me. That was a great way to start out my day, considering it was my anniversary. My husband and I had planned on going to dinner and a movie. We went to Kirby’s to eat, and I made very good choices. I chose the Broiled Boston Haddock, broccoli, and a baked potato. I was very careful not to use too much butter. I didn’t get dessert, not just because I needed to save room for popcorn, but because I really didn’t need or want it. At the movies, I chose a smaller popcorn (we always used to get the jumbo and share). I also had water instead of a soft drink. Because of the exercise I did earlier in the day, I had enough calories to not go over my daily limit. But I did go over in fat. Too much butter. Need to keep the fat content down, that is my problem area, and if I want to see changes in my “numbers” (cholesterol and LDL), I need to keep the fat down. It was a great day all around though.

Saturday: I didn’t go to the gym, but had a great time exercising in another way. My husband and I went to our parents houses that afternoon, he dropped me off at my parents and went to his parents with our vehicle. After I was done weeding their small gardens, I decided that instead of waiting for my husband to pick me up, to take a walk and meet him where he was, and so I did. I took a walk just over 2 miles to my in-laws house. It felt great to be enjoying the beautiful weather, walking in my old home town and seeing the neighborhoods, listening to the birds, feeling the warm sun on my face, and knowing I was doing something healthy. It doesn’t get much better than that! Unfortunately, the program that I am using does not calculate small calorie burning chores I performed earlier in the day such as, hand washing, drying and putting away the dishes, laundry (hanging it out on the line), vacuuming and mopping. Even though I didn’t have a number, I knew that those chores that I did, were burning calories. Remember that moving is the key. You don’t have to do heavy, high impact exercises to burn calories. For some people, just moving more, is the key to starting to be more healthy. Parking just a little farther in the parking lot at the grocery store, taking a walk instead of watching tv, riding a bike instead of driving, all of these are simple choice changes that can make a big difference in the long run. So, even though the computer said my calories were a little high that day, because it did not have all of my exercise calories entered, I knew that it was still a good healthy day.

Sunday: I had my granddaughter today. I know that playing with a busy 9 month old who was crawling around my floors, who can now stand up while she is holding on to something, helped burn lots of calories! I was constantly moving with her. Picking her up, walking with her while holding her hands. She is one of the main reasons I chose to do this program. I want to be able to keep up with her. To play with her, when she is old enough to say, “play with me Grandma”, and be able to without hesitation. I want to be the “fun” grandmother who does cartwheels with her, and jump rope with her. I look forward to those days! I know that with each day I eat right and exercise, I am that much closer to returning to a better state of health. Not too much to report except that I am grateful to have her, as she is such a blessing in my life, and how blessed I am to be here, telling you my story, hoping that this encourages you to begin to make your healthy changes.

Healthy Blessings,
Roseann

No comments:

Post a Comment