Friday, August 10, 2012

Roseann's Good Day

I am just so excited, I can't believe what I did today!!  I put in my blog yesterday, how I want to get started on training for the ARC race that we will be walking in September.  I hadn’t planned on starting today, but, when I went to the gym to exercise, I decided that I would give the treadmill a try, and see how well I would do.  I had previously went online to see how they recommend training for the 5k.  I found a training schedule for 4 weeks training, (the ARC race is in 4 1/2 weeks).  It said that you would start your first day by running 10 minutes, then walking 1 minute, and to repeat 2 times.  So, I began, and I was shocked how good I felt.  I started out and ran for 10 minutes, then I walked 1 minute.  I felt great, and couldn’t wait to get running again, so I ran another 10 minutes.  Once that 10 minutes stent was done, I walked for a minute and 1/2.  I was already 1/2 way through the 5k!  So, I carried on, I ran another 10 minutes and walked 2 minutes.  Now, I was only 7 tenths of a mile away from the 3.1 miles.  So, I ran for another 9 minutes, and I DID IT!!  I completed a 5K!!  I will be honest, my groin muscles were tired and sore, but I wasn’t as sore as I thought I would be.  What made me feel so good was that while I was doing this, a young gentleman got on the treadmill 2 machines away.  He was huffing and puffing as I was halfway through my run.  He looked younger than my children, was small in stature, and looked so healthy, but he was struggling, out of breath, and couldn’t finish!  But I did!  It made me feel so proud of myself.  Thank you so much Suzanne for inspiring me, and Lisa for giving me the courage and the great advice you have given, especially regarding encouraging us to go beyond ourselves, and do things we have never done before.  I look forward to seeing just how far this goes!
 
And for more good news, I found my tape measures.  It took some of our ladies a long time to get on the scale.  Well, I had not measured my waist, I guess that I was just so worried that it wouldn’t show me what I wanted to see.  But, as Lisa has emphasized, just like the scale, the tape measure is just a tool, and not to be afraid of it.  That what it “says” does not and should not effect our thoughts.  So, with the courage that I have obtained through this program, I decided to go ahead and measure my waist.  When I went to see the St. Joseph’s physician, Dr. Iqbal, she said that she wanted me to lose at least 3 inches from my waist.  Mid abdominal girth is a significant risk factor for Diabetes, Hypertension, and Heart Disease, and my girth has been large for many, many years.  Well, I checked, and I lost exactly the 3 inches she asked me to loose!  I knew that I had lost inches because of how my clothes had been fitting so well, actually falling off of me, LOL.  I was so enthralled that it was 3 inches!  I am just so grateful that my journey has been so successful, and I hope that the other 10 ladies are experiencing as good a journey as I am. 
 
So, another good day.  I will be sending this before I do my weigh in, so I might blog twice today.  Hopefully with more good news.
 
Hoping you are all considering what you can do, that you never thought you could, and going out and doing it!
 
Healthy Blessings,
Roseann

No comments:

Post a Comment