Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Influencing Changes in Others

Roseann:

This week our Better U program is about family, not just about what is in our genes, as some of our unhealthy heart problems can be contributed to genetics, but also, about making exercise a family tradition. Both I and my husband have parents with heart disease, so it is important for both of us to be more heart healthy. I have been cooking less amounts at dinner, and making subtle changes to the ingredients, and cooking process, and he has been doing more around the house. My husband has lost 15 pounds since June, just by these simple changes! I was worried that he would have difficulty with the changes in our diet, but he has been supportive, and now is reaping the benefits! My eldest daughter has begun to incorporate exercise into her daily routine. Monday, we walked together with her daughter, and yesterday she walked by herself the 2 miles to our house, and I was so very proud of her. I would be happy even if I had effected change in just one person, but knowing that I have influenced more, makes me so proud! It is like a ripple in a pond, our changes can influence countless more, as with each person we touch, numerous more are effected, and it grows exponentially! Franklin was right last night when he said that what we have started, can effect hundreds of people. What an honor to be a part of this journey!

There are so many activities to look forward to, the ARC race on Sep. 8th, the Handbags for Hearts on the 20th, and our AHA luncheon on Nov. 1st. Even though we are coming to the closing bell on this round, this is just the beginning of a lifetime journey. I am not worried about what will be happening after the program is complete, because after the 12th week, I will be working just as hard to keep up the great work I have already begun, and hoping that lots of my coworkers, students, and parents will join me in the quest for better heart health. A lot of the BetterU challengers have become friends on Facebook and Myfitnesspal, so we will keep in touch and continue to support each other.

What have you and your family done together today? Go for a walk, create a garden, go for a bike ride, there are so many options. Make exercise a family affair.

Healthy Blessings,
Roseann

No comments:

Post a Comment