Monday, June 25, 2012

Getting Started: Roseann Gardinier

Today is Day 1 of the BetterU Challenge! As our participants get started, they're already excited for what lies ahead. Right now, meet one of our challengers, Roseann Gardinier:

Greetings everyone, and welcome to my blog.  My name is Roseann Gardinier.  I am 46 years old.  I am a wife and mother of 5 adult children. Last year I became a grandmother.  My first grandchild was born in October of last year, my 2nd grandchild was born in March of this year, and I have a third grandchild on the way in November!  I am a RN, and work as a school nurse for the Canastota Central School District. 

First, let me begin by thanking the American Heart Association for choosing me as a participant in the BetterU program.  I am so excited to begin this program.  I know that this will change my life for the better.  I have tried so many different diets and exercise programs, but never succeeded in accomplishing the goals I started out with.  I really believe it was because I was alone in my quest.  But, with the help of the American Heart Association's BetterU program, and the support from St. Joseph's Hospital, and Gold's Gym, I believe that this time, I will not only achieve my goals, but exceed them!

Just a little history about why I applied.  Both of my parents suffer from heart disease.  My mother not only has heart disease, but also has risk factors such as Diabetes that have, and continue to, contribute to this terrible disease.  My father suffered from a "silent" MI (myocardial infarction or heart attack), it was found out during a heart catheterization.  He had had a major heart attack, injuring a coronary artery, and never knew.  It was a miracle that he did not die immediately.  He has also suffered a mild stroke that has left a small deficiency in his gait.  Two years ago, I found out that my cholesterol was high.  My doctor and I discussed weight loss, as I am also overweight, as well as medication options for the high cholesterol.  I declined medications, because I thought that I could make the necessary changes on my own.  My cholesterol was lower one year later, but not enough. Again, I declined medication and continued trying to do it on my own.  I was inconsistent, and could not maintain a healthy diet, and did not exercise enough.  I would do well for about a month or two, but "something" would cause me to stop my progress.  They were excuses, and I recognize that now.  Then this May, at our school nurses dinner, we invited two ladies to come and speak about heart disease.  Leisha Tedford, a 45 yr old woman who suffers from heart disease came and told us her "story".  Listening to her story, the statistics that she presented, and the risk factors for women, was eye-opening.  Our lives were not that different, and yet here she was, recently recovered from her second open heart surgery, and I realized that if I didn't make a change soon, that it could very well be me who could be the next victim of heart disease.  Then Jessica Ambrose, from the American Heart Association, described the BetterU program, and urged us to apply online.  I realized that it was time to stop making excuses and make a permanent, life-altering change, NOW.  This was the perfect opportunity.  I am so grateful to have been accepted, and look forward to working with the trainers at Gold Gym, the staff at St. Joseph's Hospital, as well as the American Heart Association.  I also look forward to my new friends and partners, the other 10 participants, and journeying with them, as we change our lives, and lower our risk of heart disease.

Today, our journey begins. 

Roseann Gardinier 

No comments:

Post a Comment